Happy New Year! Since it’s officially 2012, I should talk about resolutions. I don’t think I even made any last year, but I have a few things in mind for this year.
1) Be more social…with the Japanese!: When I got in JET, I told myself to be as social as possible. I can safely say I have succeeded in that. However, I’ve been hanging and socialzing with people who speak English more than anyone else. Since I’m in Japan, I’d like to befriend and hang out with Japanese people more. I think I’m off to a good start since I have been a few Japanese friends the past few months, but we’re still acquaintances. It’d be a good way to practice my Japanese too!
2) Study more Japanese: Here’s an obvious one, I think. While I do know some Japanese, I can barely hold a conversation with anyone. Knowing more Japanese would make my life a billion times easier and definitely a lot more fun (see #1). I have started studying since I applied to the JLPT but I haven’t been doing anything during my vacation. I hope to continue my studies when I get back and probably get a tutor along the way. Hopefully I’ll be able to speak a lot more Japanese by the time next year rolls around.
3) Cook more: I”ll be honest, I don’t cook a lot. I blame my salary: I am able to eat out a lot and still be saving a lot of money. I’m also lazy to find new things to cook since you can’t get certain things in Japan and don’t even try to adapt to it. I want to change this because every time I eat out I feel guilty. I’m pretty sure that’s why I’m also gaining a little weight. If I can stay at home more and actually make my own meals, I’ll be happy.
4) Exercise more: I used to run every other day when I was over here but that’s no longer the case in Japan. I started going to the gym in September but after I got injured and sick, I have barely been there. I started going back in December but I definitely want to start my routine again and actually make use of the gym…otherwise I’m just wasting money. I hate my little belly that I have, I want to get rid of it!
5) Be more assertive: This one is self-explanatory.
If I can accomplish 2 of the 5 things on here, I’ll be happy. We’ll see how it goes.